Monday, June 1, 2015

Working The Summer Away

Hello Loves!

As an incoming senior in college, this is the time for many important decisions for my future! (Don't even get me started on how scary that is!) I'm still not entirely sure what it is that I want to do but I'm working on it. To start figuring out what I want to do, I applied for summer internships in the areas that interest me. Ultimately I choose to work as an intern for the American Red Cross. I'm so happy with my decision.

I am an intern for the Volunteer Services. Which basically means I coordinate with volunteers to get them training for Citizens CPR and then get the trained volunteers to teach classes. I'm doing that for about half the summer then I'm transitioning to Disaster Services. Right now I'm doing a little of both. Disaster Services is the branch of the Red Cross that deals with people that have just undergone a disaster. We survey the area, provide shelter, and provide basic necessities until they can get back on their feet. Usually we deal with house fires, although Florida has the highest incidence of natural disasters and hurricane season starts today!!

So far I've taught Citizens CPR at several different locations including a career fair! I also did a voiceover for a video in spanish, which was super cool! Other things I've done include driving a Red Cross car and a lot of paperwork.

Singing show at the Elementary School Career Fair


Recording my voice over
Overall this internship hits both things I like: teaching about the importance of health, safety, and preparedness; and also going out into a community and actually helping. This is why I'm leaning toward working in public health. I'll have to see how the rest of the summer goes.

What are you doing this summer?
XOXO
D.