Friday, January 22, 2016

How to Break Your Digital Addiction

Hello Loves!!

Since its the new year and its time for resolutions I wanted to touch on something that affects all our lives: TECHNOLOGY!!! I know I'm not the only one that finds themselves constantly checking their phone and all the social media. I feel like I NEED to be constantly connected to people, ignoring the people that are sitting right in front of me. For the past couple of months, I have noticed this more and more and I have decided to more deliberately put down my phone and be in the moment. It is probably one of the harder things that I've had to do.

Its insane to think that we have all become those people that text and scroll aimlessly through their phones even while hanging out with friends. Sometimes I feel like I just need a break from the constant updates, texts, snaps, messages, and likes. I feel pulled in a million directions and incredibly distracted. I think especially with the new year its a great time to kick our addiction!



No phones with family and friends
This is probably the most important one to me. I hate that I scroll through Facebook while a friend is telling me a story or that I am not completely present in a situation because I'm looking at a screen. I think its so important to be in the moment. These are the memories you don't want to forget! For starters I'd say no phones during meals. I'm stealing that rule from my mom. We were never allowed to use our phones during dinner and it always made family dinners more fun and memorable. So put that phone down and enjoy!

"do not disturb mode"
I'm a huge advocate for keeping my phone on do not disturb. I always put it in that mode while in class then I just translated that to keeping it on do not disturb for the rest of the day and I was on my phone so much less! There's something about the fact that my phone screen doesn't light up that sort of makes me forget I even have a phone. It has been great.

Have a digital detox day
Choose a day, afternoon, weekend, whatever you want and power down. Turn it off and walk away. Its such a relief to read a book, go for a walk, or anything else without your phone or laptop. Its great to not have a schedule to look at or to follow, you can just slow down and enjoy the world around you. You may even see and experience brand new things. Don't get me wrong completely shutting down like this is not easy, but it is so worth it! So pick up that book and enjoy!

What other tricks do you have?
XOXO