Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Ways To Unwind During The Week

Hello Friends!

Work and school weeks can get to be stressful; there is no denying that. Oftentimes, I feel like all of my major assignments fall on the same week. Even when it isn't the case, however; finding a way to unwind after a stressful day of class or work is essential to your mental and physical health. It's so easy to get wrapped up in your daily life and maintain a focus on the stressors when trying to up come with solutions for them. Over time I've discovered that sometimes giving your mind a break from these things will help you approach them with a better attitude or idea when you do eventually come back to it. This is not about procrastination as much as it is about having a mental health break to refocus and efficiently tackle problems.


While I am sure that the list of ways to unwind could span an entire page I’ve decided to include some of my favorites for you!

Read a book

Reading is a great way to escape from reality for a bit. Unfortunately, I don't have as much time as I wish I did for reading. I wish I could find more time each day to read novels solely for fun but sometimes that just isn’t the reality. With that in mind, I like to keep books on hand that I can pick up and put down without feeling too lost when I do have time to pick it back up.

Workout

Working out is the ultimate stress reliever. Not only do you get to work towards a healthy lifestyle but you can indulge in a new fun playlist in the process. I prefer to workout in the morning or right after work. In turn, I have discovered that after working out I am usually a lot more productive and alert than on days when I skip a sweat session. I typically try to get some yoga in so that I can really relax and stretch.

Make A List

I find list making really therapeutic. I know that may sound bizarre but it allows me to get my thoughts down on paper which in a lot of cases clears my head a bit. Whether I am writing a list of what I need to accomplish the following day or writing about things that make me happy, it’s a great way to unwind and de-stress.

Take A Bath

I think somewhere in the definition or examples of things that can be relaxing there would most certainly be a picture of a bath. In my mind that bath would be overflowing with bubbles and there would be a candle or two nearby. Soaking in a warm bath is a great way to let go of some tension from a hectic day maybe enjoying a glass of wine.

Enjoy a cup of tea

I LOVE drinking tea. It makes me feel a lot better than drinking coffee. Ending the night with something warm and tasty was a great way to de-stress. While I didn’t take example of this little luxury every night I felt a bit less stressed on the nights when I did.

Call A Friend

Sometimes we take for granted just how nice it can be to vent to a friend. While I love talking to my friends here I also love calling my friends at other schools to catch up with them and hear about their lives as a little break from my own!

Paint Your Nails

Painting my nails is something that I tend to do pretty quickly. I can put on two coats of nail polish and a layer of top coat on in less than 5 minutes but regardless of that timing you still have to sit still for a bit to let them dry. This time sitting still isn’t something I often allow myself during the day as I try to get things accomplished and not waste time. In this way, painting my nails and the time spent letting them dry is a good reminder to slow things down sometimes. And not only that but you also end up with a fun color on your nails in addition to that down time.


I’d love to know if you have other solutions when it comes to unwinding at the end of a long day. Watching TV shows, cooking dinner, or having a relaxing routine all sound pretty nice when things seem overwhelming so I’d love to hear additional ideas
What do you do to unwind?
XOXO