Friday, March 17, 2017

Don't Love It, Don't Buy It

When it comes to shopping, especially clothes, it can be really hard to decide what's appropriate to get and what to leave in the store. Many times we just want to buy the dress because we really like it. Shopping is a chore because I think long and hard before I make any kind of purchase. I try to have a one in, one out rule for my closet. That means for every new item I add to my wardrobe, one of my existing items needs to be donated or trashed. Since I already LOVE everything in my closet, I have to be really, really, sure about any new items I buy.


Shopping as a Minimalist

So how do I decide what to buy when I love shopping? It's tricky. Usually what I do is, I'll set aside time to go shopping. I grab everything that catches my eye. And most important I try everything on. Just like you I'm sure, I hate trying everything on, but it is critical. You want to move around in everything, Stand up, Sit down, Stretch a little. You want to know everything about each piece.

After trying everything on, I don't actually end up buying anything. I've found that it's best to give myself a day or two to think about it. Most items are just "eh" and I'll forget about them. But there's always that one item I absolutely love! Those are the items I will start thinking about going back to get.

You have to fully love something before buying it. Its not just the fit, comfort, color, and price; but every aspect of the piece has to be something you love. I try to come up with places I'll wear a piece and how I'd style it. 

Truly reflect on why you're buying it. Remember you have to switch something in your closet out for the new piece. Once you have that piece in mind you have to value if its really worth it. Are you buying it because you have a coupon? or its inexpensive? can you really see parting ways with what you're swapping out?

Remember you are being intentional in your shopping. You are truly looking forward to something that is 100% perfect for you. At times it might be discouraging, but it will always be worth it! You have to have fun along the way.

How do you shop?
XOXO