Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Maintaining Long Distance Friendships

Hello Friends!

I have several friends that have lived very far from me and sometimes it can be hard. One of my best friends I've known my entire life and we've lived on opposite parts of the country our entire lives. During college my best friend moved away and we had to learn how to be friends apart. It can be hard when your friendships change like that. You have to figure out what works for both of you. I love my best friend and I'm so happy that we were able to figure out how to stay as close.



one// Embrace The Space
It would be easy to focus on the negatives of being far apart, but try to embrace the positives instead. Moving away was extremely hard on both of us. It turned out to be a good thing because that means we had to make friends with other people instead of just spending all of our time together.

two// Know Your "Friend Language"
Maddy is not good at keeping in touch, but she doesn't mind my endless double texts. She prefers phone calls so the 2 hour calls once a week were the best part of college. It was a great time to catch up on everything. Maybe you and your friends need to touch base on Skype every Tuesday (like L and me) or chat on the phone while you're driving somewhere (like Keri and I). Its one of those things where it depends on both people and the friendship.



three//Make Plans
Part of the work of a long-distance friendship is making sure you see each other. You can go to her, che can go to you, or you can meet somewhere neutral. Now that we're adults, we can make our own schedules and see each other more frequently. We make plans either in advance or last minute, but when we can make it work, we make it work. 

four//Put In The Work
Sometimes this can be really hard. But you have to purposefully put in the effort to keep in touch with each other. You have to willingly put in the work. So many good friendships fall apart because of someone moving away, but they aren't strong enough friendships to withstand the distance. That's fine and totally normal. But if you have a long-distance friendship to work, YOU have to put in the world. You both do.



five//Have FaithWhen you put in the work and do everything you can, you just need to have a little faith that the magic that is friendships will last.

Do you have a long distance friend?

XOXO