Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Why Your Hair Is Greasy (How To Fix It!)

Hello Friends!

This happens to all of us. You wake up one morning and your hair is no longer the beauty that it was last night. You know this curse! Now you have shower. In the morning. And rush drying your hair or possibly spend your morning with wet hair. and THIS SUCKS! Especially in winter....when your hair becomes icicles.



After a long time of trying to figure what gives! I finally think I've managed my way around the greasy hair look. Hopefully I can avoid it for a long, long time!! Although its not a perfect science and I could really use some help if you have any. So here goes:

one//You're not using the right Shampoo/Conditioner

This is probably the hardest part! This was my biggest culprit. I never thought about my shampoo or conditioner all that closely. All the truth out there? I would buy whichever gave me the most bang for my buck! Some products are heavier and other contain ingredients that make your hair look greasy. It really is a matter of trial and error until you find what works for you. You have to know your hair type and look for which products are best suited for what you're working with. For example my mom and I have very thick hair, but hers is curly so we can't use the same shampoo. Also consider checking out reviews of a product before investing! I would also suggest finding two or three types of shampoo and conditioner that work for you so that you don't over saturate your hair with the same shampoo and conditioner (This is a real thing that happens!! Then they are less effective).

two//You've got build up

Just like your body, hair can benefit from a detox as well. Try this shampoo once a week to clear out all of the junk. You can also try a hair mask.

three// You're washing your hair too much!

I know this sounds counter intuitive! But it it sooooooooo true!! Washing your hair too often actually strips your hair of essential oils so your scalp starts producing extra to make up the difference. You want to shampoo and condition your hair the least amount possible. Now I know you're sitting there thinking "ummm gross! What if I go to the gym every day? What if I sweat a lot?? Huh Daphne? Huh!!" Well you can still shower! You just rise off and that's all. You don't need to wash your hair to clean it (I know how that sounds but you get me!). Then just put a little dry shampoo and go on with your life. (P.S. this is my fave brand)

four//You're styling it wrong

Now I'm not here to tell you what is the "right" and "wrong" way to style your hair. Its your head you do what you want! But there are some styles that go better with freshly washed hair vs. second/third/fourth day looks. Third or fourth day is a perfect time to whip out that curling iron! Since curls hold better in slightly dirty locks, beach waves are great for second or third day. A volumized style is a great way to get rid of any excess oils. Break out the dry shampoo, curling iron, and a bit of hairspray to make the most of it! Also try to avoid any tight updos or flat styles (straightening iron), those tend to amplify oily roots.

five//You're playing with your hair

I LOVE having people run their fingers through my hair or just playing with my hair. I have about zero self control and am always playing with my hair. This is bad because I'm adding dirt and oils from my hands into my hair. Cutting down on running your fingers through your hair will help.

Do you have any tips?
XOXO