Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Trying Out A Long Distance Relationship

Hello All!

I have been thinking about this post for a little while now. This is something that hits close to home for me because my boyfriend and I are in a long distance relationship. We are coming up on our anniversary and I was looking back on all the more difficult times we had dealing with our distance and how we tried to over come them. I won't lie to you all, there were times when it was VERY difficult and I wasn't sure we'd make it. As they say "long distance isn't for the faint of heart".


It is hard to feel that closeness you desire. Dates just aren't the same when you live in different parts of the country and are living totally different lives. Luckily for us we don't also have to deal with a time difference. After a bit of trial and error (and I'm sure there is more to come); we've come up with different ways to help us feel secure and loved.

one// Set a Date Night

This can be hard because of different schedules and time differences, but set aside a time every week to just unwind together, over Skype, FaceTime, or even the phone. You can do things like having dinner together or watching a movie together. It really is the little things that make the biggest difference.

two// Talk on the Phone

Now I'm not the biggest fan of phone calls and neither is my boyfriend, but having some uninterrupted one-on-one time is amazing. I get to hear all about his day and be fully engaged in what he's talking about, something that is much harder to do over text. We have a set weekly phone call every Wednesday night. He'll also call me if he has a long drive and needs company.


three// Love Languages

My boyfriend was the one that brought this up. There is a whole theory of love that has to do with love languages. Sometimes we speak different love languages so the other person does not feel the love you are giving. It was a very cool book to read and then take a quiz on your primary love language. Not that the rest of them aren't important, just that that's your preference. I know having that information dramatically changed our relationship. Because now I can show him how I care for him in a way he understands better and vice versa.

four// Visit Each Other

Absolutely visit each other, get to know each other's worlds. Meet friends, co-workers, go to favorite places, and their office. Really see the places your significant other talks about most so in the future you know what it is. We, also, like to travel in the middle. We went skiing and next we'd like to go to Chicago. So really it is about doing both and having that physical time together. Just to lay on the couch or cook dinner together in person. 

What are some suggestions you have?
XOXO