Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Time Management Tricks

Hello Friends,

I know, I know, I am one of those people that writes "time management tricks" all the time. I give advice about planners and how to budget time and how to be productive and organized. I feel like every other month, I'm trying a new way of managing my time. Whether we like it or not, time is one of the most precious resources that we truly never can recover. We can't rewind. We can't bank time. We can either show up as present as possible and create strategies to make the most of every minute we got, or it is lost. This is why I have to keep trying new, different management tips until something works for you!

One important thing to remember when thinking about time management is that most people think that being more effective with their time, means doing as much as you possibly can in any given window. Rather, it is about creating the most amount of value with the time you do have. It does not matter what you have on your list of goals for this year these are some new ways I've found to be productive and to get the most important things done:

Sunday Night Planning

There are a couple of things I like to do at the end of the month to start off my next month on the right foot. Same goes with planning out my week. I like to set up a weekly to do list on Sunday night to get a jump start on my week. I like to go over all the things I have on my calendar for the week and really get a feel for what my week will look like.

Go Dark

There is some work that needs 100% of your attention. There are many things that cause us all to be SO distracted. (You don't even want to know how many tabs I have open right now). One thing I find most helpful when I have something I really need to finish. I like to put everything on airplane mode or on Do Not Disturb so that I can't get distracted. 

Hide the Phone

Along the same line as above, I really do try to hide my phone. While it is on do not disturb, I also hide it that way I can't even hear it buzzing. This is also important when you are with other people. Like at dinner or with friends. Hide. Your. Phone. When you're also on your phone you end up not really being there. Don't be half at dinner while obsessing over notifications on your phone. You really want to have those memories.

Bucket Time

Different tasks require different skills. You want to be able to group your activities according to the type of energy and skill you are expending. I've found that if I bucket my time according to the type of energy or skills it needs. I can concentrate and get waay more done when I'm not constantly bouncing back and forth in my brain. 

That UGH

We all have things that we hate doing and drag our feet on. Whatever it may be, whatever you hate doing or scheduling, try to get one in per month. Every month I schedule something that I'm not excited to do and something I'm excited to do. At the beginning of the month I give myself a due date. 

When you feel like you're drowning in all the to-do's, you may need to try being more intentional with your time. Remember, it is not about how much you can do at a time, but how many high-quality hours you can create for yourself.

What kind of tricks do you like to use?
XOXO