Friday, June 2, 2017

Getting Over Reading Ruts

Hello Friends!

As I told you, May has not been exactly productive for me in terms of getting reading in. I LOVE to read, but it seems to fluctuate. There are times when I read all the time and others when I can barely get a few pages in. And, like now, there are times when books collect dust on my nightstand. It is a frustrating feeling when I fall into a reading rut.



Because I do slip into ruts now and then, I have tried to come up with strategies to get back out of them. I'd love some advice from you all as well.

one// Don't try to force it

I have tried to force myself to read enough times that I can tell you it does not work. This seems counterintuitive, but reading should be something you're enjoying. I know it can be hard when you have required reading for school, that's why I would try to mix it in with something fun. Reading should be enjoyable, not a chore. So I don't want to read just to say I'm reading.

two// Pick-up a book you'll find interesting

When I am finally in the mood to read, I want to pick something up that I know I'll be interested in. Maybe something on the shorter side or something I'm 100% sure I'll love. The first book post-rut is the time to get the more fun, "easier" books in. I like to keep a running list of books that interest me and that always helps me narrow it down.

three// Reinvigorate your excitement for reading

Usually I have a stack of books on my bedside table. If I find that none of them are interesting me or they are not helping me feel excited for reading, its time to turn to new books. That is not to say that I won't read the books on my night table, just that I need something else first. Going to a bookstore helps me out. Something about the wall of colorful books is just too amazing to pass up.

four// "I don't have time"

I feel like this is the biggest cop out EVER!! If reading is something you love then you make time for it, just like you make time for Netflix or any other number of things. Basically its a problem in prioritizing. There is nothing wrong with not prioritizing something- it's your time & life. I fall into that all the time and I forget to prioritize what I love. When I don't "have time" for reading it just means I let it fall to the bottom of my list. Sometimes, we fail to prioritize and that's okay, reprioritizing definitely helps with ruts.

Do you have any tips or tricks for me?
XOXO